I'm a dreamer, always have been. Inside my head are a thousand photographs I have yet to take, a hundred books I have yet to write--and of course, about a million daydreams about family, love, creating, exploring and sharing. I think I've been dreaming of serving dinners like this to my family since long before I actually started a family of my own--it's the kind of warm-from-the-oven, hearty but healthy meal that magical food memories are made of.
When I imagine our future go-to family meals, this is what I picture on our table. I'm thinking of always serving it with a fluffy, cloud-like pile of quinoa tossed with mint & feta on the side, too--the simple, nutty grains contrast with the sharpness of the herbs and a hint of saltiness from the crumbled feta, all softened and blended by a splash of olive oil, in a way that's just irresistible. This meal comes together in under an hour and won't dirty every dish in your kitchen, making it the perfect meal for a busy weeknight!
Lemon Garlic Roasted Chicken
Makes: 4 - 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken thighs & drumsticks
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, stems removed
- 6 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- Lemon slices (wheels)
- Preheat oven to 400. Heat olive oil in skillet to medium high. Pat chicken dry with paper towels, season lightly with salt then place in pan. Sear until lightly browned, about 3 minutes, then place chicken with browned sides facing up in a roasting dish.
- Lower heat to medium, add lemon juice and water to pan, scraping leftover browned bits to deglaze. After about a minute, once the bottom of the pan is clean again, remove from heat and add honey, oregano, thyme and garlic cloves. Let sit for another minute, then pour over chicken. Garnish with lemon wheels.
- Roast at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until juices run clear. Serve with fresh sprigs of thyme, alongside Quinoa with Feta & Mint (see recipe below).
Quinoa with Feta & Mint
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cups water
2 tablespoons mint, chopped
2 tablespoons curly parsley, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled feta
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt & pepper
Place quinoa in pot, cover with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all water is gone.
Remove from heat & fluff quinoa with a fork. Add mint, parsley, feta and olive oil, toss until combined. Add salt & pepper to taste, serve warm.